Friday, December 25, 2009

What is this Christmas?


Over the past few days I have been really trying to consider what this season means to me, and to be perfectly honest I have been coming up short trying to find words to fully explain it.

I realize that often times we all celebrate the holidays in different forms and fashions, and some don't celebrate at all - but collectively, what if we could spend time together just being thankful and grateful for what we have been given by the Lord? As many know I am an unashamed follower of Jesus Christ, and as I consider the biblical stories of Jesus and His disciples, the one theme that I constantly see is that they are always in fellowship, not spending time being divided or apart. Even in the most difficult situations, the disciples still managed to come together for a common purpose in serving one another and those they came across; with a focus and sole emphasis on sharing the message of the Lord with everyone they came across.

I wonder, if right now as the world collectively celebrates the birth of our Lord, if we would be so bold as well to join together for one purpose, and that would be to bring one another together. Of course, I'm not talking about having a "we are the world" moment where we start getting all warm and fuzzy and want to hug perfect strangers ... but what if we joined hearts for a common purpose of seeing Jesus Christ truly lifted up so that others could see Him? We all have our different angles on the holidays, and some have different views of exactly how to worship; but never once did I ever see Jesus assign different roles to the disciples to begin the Methodist movement, the Baptist movement, the Catholic movement, etc.

Jesus simply said ,"Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (Matthew 28:19-20)

What if we got serious about these two verses and actually practiced it? What if we spent time lifting Jesus up, and telling others about who He is; instead of spending so much time trying to convince one another that our "form of worship" was the right one? How much more could He be glorified in that ... as He should be?

Christmas is not about us, friends. It never has been. It's not about Santa Claus, Kris Kringle, or even Saint Nick. It has nothing to do with our waistbands getting bigger nor does it have anything to do with going to church one of two times a year to "make your appearance". Christmas is about exalting the Christ child, who is the foretold Messiah of Isaiah 9. Can we agree on that friends? Can we lift up the One who matters?

From my home to yours ........ Merry Christmas. I pray that sometime today you would get alone with God and offer Him the worship and praise that He so richly deserves.

2 comments:

Lisa on December 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM said...

I agree that things would be very different if the true body of Christ would walk in agreement in that one area. To exalt the name of the Lord.
This Christmas I found myself getting really annoyed with the realization that people (in general) make a big deal about taking a stand at CHRISTmas (this being one of the things I've seen repeatedly.) I supposed it's a good place to start, but a start it should be. When Christmas is 'over' (which it never really IS- God came to live among us- in a permanent sense) where will all these people stand.
That's just what I've been thinking...and wrong it may be. You know, I've been in a very confusing place as of late, so really, my opinion doesn't count, it most likely costs.
Hope you had a great Christmas! Enjoy your Star Trek movie. I'm a bit of a Trek fan myself.

TJ on December 26, 2009 at 3:19 PM said...

You are absolutely correct Lisa. Emmanuel literally means "God with Us", and it is a 24/7 thing that by Jan 15th seems to be tossed aside for what feels good to our own desires. It would be a tremendous place to start for sure if we were to get serious about ONLY exalting the King of Kings.

 

T.J. Conwell. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Free Wordpress Templates by Brian Gardner Blogger Templates