Monday, July 12, 2010

What Would YOU Say?


Some of you know that I write for the website www.GotQuestions.org and have for many years. Each week, I get several questions from different folks across the globe requesting biblical advice, information, guidance, etc. and it has always been a joy for me to search and read and pray for others.

I have never before shared a question I've received -- but after answering it I was not only compelled to share it but to also encourage us all that we, as witnesses to the Gospel, understood the magnitude of what is being asked of this Sister in Christ. I pray that you would read this, allow it to infiltrate your prayer life, and be as bold as a lion when preaching/representing the truth of God's Word ... that there is but ONE mediator between God and man, and it is to Jesus that should pledge allegiance too.

God bless you,

TJ

---------

The following question from GotQuestions.org has just been assigned to you:

Question: Please can you tell me if this is biblical? My pastor wants us all to do a covenant with him, not to leave the church and to wear a ring with his name on it and the churches name. I have no problem with membership and honoring your leader but do feel uncomfortable about this covenant, I would appreciate your views. Thank you.

Blessings

Paula.

Profile:Female 31-45

2 comments:

Dan V on July 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM said...

I'm afraid my response would be colored by my own experience. I would run, not walk from this situation. One's allegiance needs to be to Jesus Christ, not to a pastor. I believe in loyalty (served at the same body for 20 years, only leaving when it disintegrated). But this kind of "covenant" smacks of clergy control. The pastor's job is not to run the lives of his parishioners, but to equip the saints for the work of the ministry. The kind of insecurity this "covenant" implies is often the underlying cause for a lot of abuse. What else is this pastor demanding? I would pray seriously for godly wisdom (James 1:5) and direction.

Lisa on July 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM said...

I had no idea you did that. That question hits a little too close to home for me.
You have a tough job, my friend.

 

T.J. Conwell. Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved Free Wordpress Templates by Brian Gardner Blogger Templates